Saturday, February 23, 2008

Modern Art

When my wife suggested that I look into Modern art for our interior decorating scheme, I was pretty surprised. I was even more surprised to discover that I really had no idea what Modern art actually was until I started browsing through the artwork online. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

The first thing that comes to my mind when you mention Modern art is abstract painting. I can’t help it. The colorful images are just too closely linked to the concept of the modern age in my mind. Of course, part of the problem is that I connect “modern” with present-day. However, I guess that when it comes to art, “contemporary” is the term used for today’s projects. I think.

Anyway, I was thrilled that Modern art wasn’t comprised completely of abstract paintings and compositions that leave the lay person (like myself) scratching his head. I like to see images that are realistic and meaningful, not ones that are confusing and complex. I’m a simple gal and I want my art to be simple as well.

Fortunately, this genre is quite vast. I have found great images that were predecessors to the abstract movement but are quite easily interpreted by the eyes. There are many landscapes and portraits that are very intriguing in the realm of Modern art and I think that I am a new fan of this particular movement.

The Art Deco furnishings in some of the rooms in my home simply beckon images from the Modern art movement. I love that I can pair geometric designs in my furnishings right along with the geometric designs in the Modern art compositions that I can found. And I can still recognize what those designs actually represent.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the Modern art movement started in the late 19th century. This really appeals to the antique collector in me. While the Art Deco pieces in my home are quite old, I really love pairing interesting antiques from the 19th Century with Modern art pieces that coincide as well.

I’m glad that I took my wife’s advice. My eyes and my mind have both been opened to Modern art and I have a brand new appreciation for abstract images. I still like to keep things real, though. I’m very happy that I can still find images in Modern art that not only suit my home but suit my personal tastes as well.

No comments: